My name is Guadalupe, I am a 31 years old woman, married to a 36 years old man. We have 2 children, age 4 and 2. At present, I work for a multinational company as an administrative and my husband is a videogame developer/creator. We live in Spain .
The reason of this email is that we are thinking about moving to Sweden . It’s true that my husband and I both have good jobs, but we want more for our children, things that money can’t buy. This is the real reason why we are thinking about moving outside Spain .
However, we have lots of questions about Sweden and we hope you can help us by answering some of our questions. While you read, please, keep in mind that if we move to Sweden , we will be on our own, with no family to help us (and by this, I specially mean with the kids). I know you can’t give us an exact answer, we are only asking for general information to get an idea of how things are in Sweden .
We would be very grateful if anyone could answer the following questions:
1. What is the school schedule? Children go to school from Monday to Friday, from Xa.m. to Xp.m. ???
2. One of the most important questions for us: what do parents do with the kids if both of them are working? Is there any kindergarten/school where kids can stay while parents are working? How much does it cost?
3. At what age do kids go to school?
4. I guess there are kindergartens for 2 years old kids…how much do they cost? Schedule?
5. Cost of kindergarten? Cost of school? Cost of high school? Cost of University?
6. School holidays in Sweden ? Is there any summer or Easter or Christmas school where kids can go? (You know, in case both parents are working). How much does it cost?
7. What kind of sports do Swedish kids practice? For example, is it possible to practice football all year round? (You know, with the cold and the snow...).
8.Another VERY important question: what about Healthcare? Is it free? If not, how much does it cost?
9. Do you think a family with 2 adults and 2 kids (4 and 2 years old) can afford all the expenses if only one member of the family is working?
10. I know there’s no minimum salary in Sweden , however, could you tell us more or less how much money would be an average salary?
11. I know it depends very much on how you spend your money but, how much money do you think you must earn in order to rent a flat/house, take 2 kids to school, pay all the bills, feeding, electricity, and a long etc….?
12.I’ve read there are no unemployment benefits in Sweden ….I do hope not to bother you with my question but…I guess not every Swedish person works, so…how can they live with no incomes? I ask this because in Spain you have “el paro”, which is an unemployment benefit that the government pays you for X time, depending on how long you have been working (this is supposedly to help you while you find another job).
13. How do older people get any income? What is the retirement age in Sweden ?
14. Usual working hours (for parents)?
15. What would be an average rental price of a house/flat?
16. Average price to buy a house/flat in Sweden ?
17. I guess people have mortgaged their house with a bank...What is the usual way to pay for it? For example, in Spain is up to 30 or 35 years, euribor + 1% tax.
18.How is the weather along the year?
Thank you very much for your attention.
Hope to hear from someone soon.